Archive for May, 2009
It’s here! And it’s Bing’O!!
The new Microsoft Search Engine has been announced today and its called Bing!
UPDATE: Sadly though, all the juicy aggregation features of the new search engine isn’t going to be available to us here in India 😦
So did Menka Gandhi, both after a recount!
If nothing, this is the most disgusting aspect of Indian Democracy. In a bizarre turnout of events during counting, both Mr. P Chidambram (PC) and Mrs. Menka Gandhi (MG) had lost the elections but later were declared winners after they called for a recount of votes.
There is a chance, a very little chance, that there was a fair play in both the cases, but such gross blunders on part of Election Committee (EC) is very difficult to digest given the state in which India’s politics stands today! The introduction of Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) whose sole purpose was to make it easy in the counting the votes, makes it even more hard to believe that this kind of error can really happen.
I didn’t vote in this election, that said, I guess I do not deserve the right to comment on what happened during this elections. But I really pity those who did. (Man, first hats off to all of them for getting themselves eligible to vote) Those who contested the elections, were all, well almost, lousy candidates to vote for. Which way would you go when you have आगे कुवाँ और पीछे खाई (a well in front and a gorge behind)? And then, even when people did vote, its not their votes that decides who wins, the EC does. We the people, are just numbers. Numbers that are used to display the strength of Indian Democracy internationally! The Triumph of People! What a Joke! We always lose, either we vote or not. Whether one candidate wins or other. It doesn’t matter, we don’t matter. And that’s what’s disgusting!
I was not very fond of Mrs. Menka Gandhi anyways, but Mr. P Chidambram, you’ve lost any respect I had for you, even if at the end you’ve managed to somehow win your constituency!
PC: lost by 3000, then won by 3500 votes
MG: lost by 22000, then won by 6400 votes
Anupam Mittal & Aditya Shastri, producers of the movie 99 stuck to their word with the release of the movie across multiplexes. This release is an exception to the current ongoing Bollywood Producer’s strike which had created a drought on the movie screens.
The movie is a fast paced comical sequence of events in the life of few ordinary people who want to make it in their life. It is loosely based on the cricket match fixing scandal that took India by storm during the India-South Africa cricket series in early 2000.
The movie breathes fresh air into the multiplexes and us who were so deprived of the silver screen for so long! Must Watch!
The Congress manifesto for the 2009 general elections mentions what the party’s great achievements have been during the last century. The two paragraphs that summarize are quoted below verbatim:
The Indian National Congress is the party that, under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi, led our people into freedom from colonial rule. It is the party whose leadership, by the admission of Dr. Ambedkar himself, made our Constitution possible.
The Indian National Congress is the party that, under the leadership of Jawaharlal Nehru, established the foundations of the modern Indian nation-state with its abiding commitment to parliamentary democracy, secularism, economic development, and science and technology.
I believe the above paragraphs are gross understatement of what actually the Congress party has accomplished.
- Indian National Congress brought us the independence and also led to the Partition through Jinnah (a former member of INC).
- INC made our constitution possible and later also included the concept of Reservations (SC/ST/OBC/and ironically even Rajputs) which causes riots and deaths till date.
- Under leadership of Jawaharlal Nehru, we got the Sino-Indian War and lost miserably, because of his adamancy on the weird foreign policy “Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai”.
- Under leadership of Indira Gandhi, we got the autocratic Emergency and the devastating Operation Blue Star. Allegedly Blue Star was an operation to curb the extremism that was seeded by the INC itself!
- Under INC we had the 1984 anti-sikh riots which was a concerted effort to wipe out an entire community. Over thousands were killed in riots spearheaded by members of INC in various parts of Delhi.
- Under INC during the last term, there have been at least 25 major terrorist incidents, 12 in the past 1 year alone, with a literally non/dys-functional Home Minister who did nothing but wear a different suit everyday and utter gibberish at each incident. Notably non of the cases have made any progress in the courts, with Ajmal Kasab (sole survivor and prime accused in Mumbai attacks last november) getting a royal treatment under custody.
If INC claims for the achievement of independence, it should have been non existent by now. Principally INC was formed only to achieve India’s independence and was not expected to play a political role post independence, Mahatma Gandhi and Sardar Patel were both of this opinion, but INC, esp. Nehru, supposedly wanted to rule the country and so it did!
 Jesudasan, Ignatius. A Gandhian theology of liberation. Gujarat Sahitya Prakash: Ananda India, 1987, pp 225