The Congress manifesto for the 2009 general elections mentions what the party’s great achievements have been during the last century. The two paragraphs that summarize are quoted below verbatim:
The Indian National Congress is the party that, under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi, led our people into freedom from colonial rule. It is the party whose leadership, by the admission of Dr. Ambedkar himself, made our Constitution possible.
The Indian National Congress is the party that, under the leadership of Jawaharlal Nehru, established the foundations of the modern Indian nation-state with its abiding commitment to parliamentary democracy, secularism, economic development, and science and technology.
I believe the above paragraphs are gross understatement of what actually the Congress party has accomplished.
- Indian National Congress brought us the independence and also led to the Partition through Jinnah (a former member of INC).
- INC made our constitution possible and later also included the concept of Reservations (SC/ST/OBC/and ironically even Rajputs) which causes riots and deaths till date.
- Under leadership of Jawaharlal Nehru, we got the Sino-Indian War and lost miserably, because of his adamancy on the weird foreign policy “Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai”.
- Under leadership of Indira Gandhi, we got the autocratic Emergency and the devastating Operation Blue Star. Allegedly Blue Star was an operation to curb the extremism that was seeded by the INC itself!
- Under INC we had the 1984 anti-sikh riots which was a concerted effort to wipe out an entire community. Over thousands were killed in riots spearheaded by members of INC in various parts of Delhi.
- Under INC during the last term, there have been at least 25 major terrorist incidents, 12 in the past 1 year alone, with a literally non/dys-functional Home Minister who did nothing but wear a different suit everyday and utter gibberish at each incident. Notably non of the cases have made any progress in the courts, with Ajmal Kasab (sole survivor and prime accused in Mumbai attacks last november) getting a royal treatment under custody.
If INC claims for the achievement of independence, it should have been non existent by now. Principally INC was formed only to achieve India’s independence and was not expected to play a political role post independence, Mahatma Gandhi and Sardar Patel were both of this opinion, but INC, esp. Nehru, supposedly wanted to rule the country and so it did!
 Jesudasan, Ignatius. A Gandhian theology of liberation. Gujarat Sahitya Prakash: Ananda India, 1987, pp 225