Archive for the ‘Computers and Internet’ Category
This Saturday I went to a seminar organized by CDAC with focus on Open Source and Information Security. The seminar’s content was primarily focussed on students but I had the following takeaways from the meeting:
- There is a strong feeling among the community that for Open Source to win the Proprietary has to lose. This feeling is to the extent of hatred of anything from Microsoft (Windows, Office, IIS) and Adobe(Photoshop).
- The CDAC is implementing a customized version of Linux (BOSS) and they have plans of widespread adoption throughout the country (at least in the government space)
- CDAC already has courses on Embedded Systems and Mobile development, which they run in their centers and other educational institutes (like Anna University), and they plan to include Andriod for mobile development starting this year.
- Not surprisingly, Google is a de facto for online space, awareness of Live/Bing is near to zero.
- Majority still use Windows though pirated (since there is no other alternative) but find alternatives for other programs from Open Source. Office and Photoshop were the most widely pirated applications among the group, no one has ever bought software
- People talk a lot about Open Sources, but are not completely aware of all the strings of open source licenses
In general, there is a lot of noise of stupidity in the long tail of Indian IT community who inadvertently do not have the facts right and work more on conviction driven by their group and limited online activity.
It’s here! And it’s Bing’O!!
The new Microsoft Search Engine has been announced today and its called Bing!
UPDATE: Sadly though, all the juicy aggregation features of the new search engine isn’t going to be available to us here in India 😦